INDIAN PRESS DISCLOSES EFFORTS TO BUY THE PEOPLE OF TIRUNELVELY
10 Mar 2012
This post is a follow-up to: INDIA RESORTS TO THE IAEA, AND OTHERS TO ASSUAGE THEIR PEOPLE ABOUT NUKE SAFETY, dated 03 Dec 2011; http://energymaters.com/?p=447
INDIAN PRESS HARKENS TO THE SO. KOREAN NPP INDUCEMENTS. Nuclear Power Plants (NPPs) are not new to South Korea with 21 operational NPPs generating 18,716 Megawats (Mw); However, since the Fukushima Dai No.1 triple meltdown tragedy, the residents of Kori, So. Korea (who have had an NPP since 1978) are very uneasy at having seven (7) new NPPs built on their turf. Their fear has prevailed despite claims by authorities that radiation measured in Kori air is 0.01 mSv. An official (Oh-Oh! – no name given) of So. Korea’s “Hydro & Nuclear Power Co (KHNP)” said: “We told the Kori residents that this is low as natural background radiation is 0.005-0.03 mSv and that to be harmful the radiation must be more than 500 mSv. We also told them that on an average a person receives approximately 2.4 mSv per year in natural background radiation through daily life activities”; But, this was clearly not enough to mitigate the anxiety of Kori residents, who after Fukushima, view the planned NPPs with suspicion and fear.
SO. KOREAN GOVERNMENT “SWEETENS THE NUKE POT” BY OFFERING Kori residents attractive financial, and other inducements such as:
1. A $300-million grant to a local development fund destined for setting up schools, colleges and super-specialty hospitals.
2. Preference to Kori locals, in employment at the eight (8) Kori NPPs.
3. Scholastic scholarship up to college level to all students residing within five-km radius of the plants.
4. Free electrical power (up to Rs 500 10,000 won or $10) within a 5 Km. radius to all residents .
Apparently there have not yet been any protests in So. Korea against the Kori NPPs under construction.
INDIA TOO HAS “SWEETENED THE NUKE POT” At its 25-year-old NPP project at Kudankulam (KNPP)in Tamil Nadu, Tirunelveli district. There, the “Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL)” has ground to a halt, and is facing powerful public, and governmental opposition in several nearby Districts. They had already built two(2) new Nukes in their proposed “six-Nuke Energy Park”; However, NPCIL has been unable to get “startup” permits, and the plants are idle. To counter the public opposition deadlock, NPCIL has planned /or provided several “welfare measures”; they are:
1. NPCIL has constructed call rooms.
2. Provided a drinking water facility through bored wells.
3. Laid new water pipe lines for 3.5 kms.
4. Ensured computer accessories for village schools and Panchayat offices.
5. Installed fire extinguishers and built lavatories in schools apart from
6. Laid a 17.6-km road, with street lights.
7. It renovated a home for disabled and mentally retarded children.
8. Organized health camps in villages – Not clear what these would entail.
9. Provided hearing-aids to schools for the needy, and created a talent nurturing scheme for meritorious students from economically deprived areas.
10. Reported tsunami relief activities it had carried out.
IT IS CLEAR THE OPPOSITION DOES NOT ACCEPT NPCIL’s “WELFARE MEASURES”, kind though they may be, they totally fail to answer, or even mitigate, the well expressed concerns by the people of Tirunelvely: and that, neither NPCIL, or the clearly supportive Indian Central Government, have even attempted to answer; THAT, IS CLEARLY BECAUSE THEY DO NOT HAVE GOOD ANSWERS TO PROVIDE.
INDIAN NUKE PLANNERS THINK THAT IF… Kori, So. Korea can be persuaded with amenities, Indian nationals should do the same at the kundakulam NPP project; NOT SO! INDIAN PEOPLE HAVE DEMONSTRATED CLARITY OF THOUGHT WITH RESPECT TO ALL ASPECTS OF FOREIGN MADE NPPs IN INDIA. THEY WILL NOT BE BOUGHT WITH A FEW AMENITIES. THEIR’S IS A QUEST FOR NATIONAL INDEPENDENCE, AS WELL AS PEOPLE’S SAFETY; WHO KNOWS, THE PEOPLE OF SO. KOREA MAY DO THE SAME YET!
WE SAY AGAIN, TODAY NPP OPERATIONAL SAFETY IS NO LONGER THE MAIN ISSUE. The real problem is the huge worldwide accumulation of “Spent Fuel”(Transuranics) – highly toxic nuclear waste, with very long decay rates, and NO PLACE TO SAFELY STORE THEM FOR ETERNITY. That problem has multiplied all over the world with every new NPP to aggravate the problem.